Tuesday, February 19, 2019

My Reading List (part 1)

Isn't it funny how you finally enjoy doing things as an adult that you hated growing up? For me, this was reading. In 12 years of school and 4 years of college, always being told what to read, when to resd it by, and even the dreaded book report (shudder). It wasn't all bad though, through school I was introduced to the Magic Tree House series and I began collecting that series.

However, this blog isn't about that; it is about reading though. Ever since I started getting more serious about my faith, I have been reading more than I ever have, and enjoying it. Its the freedom of reading whatever I find interesting and I can read it at my pace. I do take notes, so I guess school taught me something.  Anyway, here are the books I have read so far this year and what I plan to read next!


The Biggest Lie in the History of Christianity by Matthew Kelly. No lie, I was so looking forward to this book; it had me at the title. I was wanting to know what the biggest lie was. It started out good by addressing other lies in regards to Christianity and other stuff. Then, finally, I arrived at the biggest lie; it was a big letdown. I’m not going to tell you the biggest lie, I’ll leave it up to you to read for yourself. It was a letdown because I was expecting this big “smack in the face” lie, but it wasn’t. Don’t get me wrong, it is true. I can see how it is a lie, I was just expecting something grander. The rest of the book outlines how to make this lie into a great truth. If you need some uplifting content, this book is for you.

Survivor The Unofficial Bible of the Greatest Reality Show Ever Made by Michael E. Keneski: Survivor is my guilty pleasure. I still watch the show, and I have seen all but one season in its entirety. I came across this book on a Survivor Facebook group, saw it cheap on Amazon and bought it. The title says “Bible” but it doesn’t deserve that designation. It is all the author’s opinions, yet he writes nice recaps of the feature castaway’s gameplay. He includes a few more aspects of the game, yet leaves a ton out. If you want to call it a Bible, include everything! Also, don’t get me started on the all the spelling and factual errors it contains. How did this book ever get published?! 

Timeless: A History of the Catholic Church by Steve Weidenkopf: I must confess, I am almost done with this book, but it is too good to leave out. 
Ever since my faith was challenged, I took to studying up on Catholic apologetics. However, I was still ignorant in Church history and unsure of how to respond to accusations that relate to it.  This   book is awesome! It simplifies Church history from when Jesus changes Simon’s name to Peter to the present day. I learned so much from this book. However, it is not a complete history so there is room for additional independent research.
As stated before I was never much of a reader in school, but now with this book, I hope to read more into the Church during the Roman Empire. I don’t know why but I could see the scenes play out in my mind as I read this section.
20 Answers: The Early Church by Jim Blackburn: This is a book I read in eBook form, both provided by Catholic Answers Press. This book gives 20 questions about the Early Church and an answer for each, Again, I have only read bits and pieces of this book, but I recommend any book in this series to anyone who wants to know more about the Catholic faith.

Here are the books I plan to read next:
Signs of Life by Scott Hahn- This book was given to me by my Father-in-Law and it looks like it is another basic apologetics book. I will know more once I dig into it, but it looks like it differs in getting into the Biblical roots of what Catholics do.
The Adventures of Nick & Sam: Perfect Gifts: Also given to us by my Father-in-Law. It appears to be short stories about two little kids. We’ll see about this one.
Made This Way by Trent Horn: This book deals with explaining to your children the current issues of today. The more I become aware of the culture around me, the more I want to prepare to discuss it with my children because its anybody’s guess what the culture will be like when they go out into it on their own. It would also be good for us as well.
Let me know what you think! Do you have any recommendations?


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these titles. I love reading and was looking for some faith-based books to add to my own reading list. And reading is definitely more fun when you get to pick the books (college syllabuses, yuck).

    ReplyDelete

Movie review: Unplanned

PSA: Go see this movie! It will open your eyes! Tell your friends! Have a nice day. I am pleased to hear how well Unplanned is doing in ...