Thursday, February 7, 2019

Katie's Pregnancy Story


I always wanted to write down my testimony about my miscarriages and the troubles I had getting pregnant in hopes that it will give hope and faith to someone else out there who is struggling. I am not, by all means, a great writer but I always wanted to write this.

Ever since I was young I always wanted to work with children because I love kids. Even when my siblings got married and had kids of their own, I felt a sense of emptiness in my life. I knew I wanted to be a mother, God willling.

My journey started in late 2014, when it was my time for my annual checkup at the OB. My dad went with me since I couldn’t drive that far. My doctor came in to the examination room and told me I was pregnant. I was so happy that I cried and I remember repeating myself, looking up to the sky saying “thank you, thank you!” I was just so full of joy! I called Jordan at work and told him the news, he was so excited. However, when I was 6 weeks along, I miscarried. I started questioning God, asking “Why me? I love kids so much. Why?” I wanted answers and was wanting to be a mom so bad, but I was hopeful that I would get pregnant again and carry full term.

I was so overjoyed when I became pregnant again, but unfortunately, miscarried again between 7-8 weeks. I was devastated again. I felt so low, I just didn’t know what was wrong with me. I thought God got me. I thought we had a bond together.

Again, I wanted answers, so my journey took me to Dr. Schieber at the Institute for Reproductive Health in Cincinnati, Ohio. I had a big cyst on one of my ovaries that was leaning toward my uterus, so we suspected that was the problem. Dr. Schieber recommended for me to have surgery to remove what he could; or as I say “start new”. Now I was trying to decide if I wanted this surgery or not so I lifted up all my heartache, tears, anger and my desire to have a child to God. For the first time I heard God talking to me, and he was always saying for me to go ahead with the surgery and then you will have a successful pregnancy. I remember him repeating it over and over to me. I couldn’t believe that I was going through all this heartache and trouble to just have a child! I had overcome a lot in my life and now I was going through this. My only question was “why?”

I underwent the surgery on the morning on Dec. 1st 2015 at Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. I remember laying in the hospital bed that morning, before I went into surgery thinking “Ok God, you got me to this point. I trust in you, please please just let me be a mom”. When I was wheeled back to the OR, I was very scared and nervous. I second guessed having this done, but again I was calm and said “Ok God, just take care of me”. I prayed for my doctor doing the surgery, I didn’t know what else to do but pray.  But again I just had a sense of calmness come over me while I was laying there in the OR. The surgery took 3 hrs. After the surgery the doctor went to talk to Jordan and my dad in the waiting room, saying the surgery went well. He diagnosed me with mild endometriosis and said that he got what he could out. He also said, he realigned my uterus, and I was ready to go. I was so very happy it wasn’t anything serious like cancer or worse.

From Dec. to April I had to recover and let my body heal. When April rolled around we started trying again, a month and a half later, in late May of 2016, I got pregnant again! But this time it was different, I was excited but I had a calmness come over me when I took that home pregnancy test. A calmness of joy, a calmness of saying ok let’s start new, I CAN DO THIS!!!

 We have a picture at church where Jesus is holding up his one hand, and with the other he is pulling back his tunic, exposing his Sacred Heart and his blood and water are gushing forth towards you like rays of light. At the bottom is the saying “Jesus, I trust in you”. Every time I looked at that picture I felt a sense of calmness that drove me all the way through my pregnancy.  9 months later I delivered a healthy wonderful daughter, my miracle, that I could finally call my own! Fast forward to March 2018, when I discovered I was pregnant yet again! I also carried this sweet blessing full term and now we have two wonderful, beautiful daughters!

Now that I look back to all the troubles I had, I still think about my miscarriages and grieve what could have been. God took me to the right doctors that I needed in order to have that surgery. I still have some endometriosis inside of me that he didn’t want to get because it was too close to some of my organs. I still would love nothing more but to have more children. We will see what the future holds for me, BUT I AM A MOTHER AND THAT IS THE GREATEST FEELING EVER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie review: Unplanned

PSA: Go see this movie! It will open your eyes! Tell your friends! Have a nice day. I am pleased to hear how well Unplanned is doing in ...