Thursday, February 7, 2019

Jordan's Faith Story

I always went to Mass with my mom and grandma at the Catholic Church where my grandma attended. I was not baptized during most of this time, and outside of my grandma, I had minimal religious influence.  My parents are good people, but weren’t strong on a religious upbringing. I am not sure of what was happening to me internally, but one day I announced to my mom that I wished to be baptized. After some introductory classes, I was baptized, confirmed and first received the Holy Eucharist in February 2001. Although now a Catholic, I proceeded to just go through the motions and not be the best person I could’ve been; I was not a troublesome child mind you.
It was 2008 when I met my to-be wife, whom herself came from a very devout Catholic family; we married a few years later. Through my interactions with her and her family over the years, I saw my views on topics change and I became more involved with our parish; I taught Sunday school for 4 years.
Then, fast forward to my friend John. He was a Baptist at the time and he invited my wife and I to “Reformers Unanimous” at his church. We went and had a nice first visit and returned the following week. It was then God made His next big move. We were split in to Bible study groups and I was placed in a group led by Gordon. After introducing myself and telling them I was Catholic, I was unprepared for what happened next.
Gordon asked me what, as a Catholic, gave us salvation. I responded about keeping the commandments, good works and being as Christ to others. Gordon then proceeded to ask “If you were to die tonight, would you go to Heaven?” I answered that I had gone to Confession earlier that week so my chances were probably good. Following that in what seemed like a whirlwind of questions and comments, my faith was tested and I gave very poor answers. As the Bible study drew to a close, we prayed. Gordon put forward the intention that I actually read the Bible and find Jesus in it. Little did he know, his prayer would be answered.
After that night, I took to studying my faith. I took to the Bible, Catholic books, CDs, radio, anything I could get my hands on. Here I am, years later, a more faithful and involved Catholic than I ever was before! God had set me up with those who would make me who I am today; it just took me sometime to embrace it. I have no hard feelings towards Gordon, in fact I thank him and the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie review: Unplanned

PSA: Go see this movie! It will open your eyes! Tell your friends! Have a nice day. I am pleased to hear how well Unplanned is doing in ...